Whether you are buying an espresso machine for commercial or home use, have you been pulling out your hair trying to decide which one is the machine for you? To keep you from going bald, we have chosen one to review that is for home, office or a smaller sized coffee serving business. We hope this will help you to choose the best dual boiler espresso machine for you. Our choice is the Breville BES920XL Dual Boiler Espresso Machine.
The name Breville is well known for its innovated kitchen appliances and are based in Sydney Australia with their US operation in California. Their mission is to make the best kitchen tools possible and have won over 40 international design awards. The BES920XL has been selected as one of the best machines in several other reviews. Breville is one of the most popular brands.
You may wonder why you should get one with a dual boiler. Prices can be higher for a dual boiler but Breville has kept the price lower and even half of what others may cost. The advantage of a dual boiler is that they offer more consistent temperatures that you can control and this is important when trying to please customers that are espresso experts on taste. If you plan on making lots of latte drinks, you will have instant steam that is ready at all times to froth the milk.
The Dual Boiler of the BES920XL has an Over Pressure Valve (OPV) that limits the maximum extraction pressure to prevent any bitter taste in the espresso shot. It also has true low pressure pre-infusion to gradually increase the pressure to expand the grinds gently to make very even extractions.
The Breville BES920XL Dual Boiler is a semi-automatic espresso machine with one dedicated stainless steel espresso boiler and one dedicated stainless steel steaming boiler that can be adjust from 265 to 285 degrees Fahrenheit. It also has dual Italian pumps so the espresso extraction and steaming can be done simultaneously. It has PID temperature control to keep water temperature precise and has heated group head that has PID control with embedded element for maintaining thermal stability.
One wonderful feature is the Auto Start that allows you to program it to turn on and preheat every day at a specific time. When it comes to cleaning, the BES920XL is equipped with a descale alert and an assisted descale procedure to help keep it in top condition, smooth performance and a long lifespan.
The BES920XL Dual Boiler has a unique water reservoir system. It can be accessed from the back by pulling it out like a drawer but also can be filled from the top front area that has a light so you know if it is full and if you overfill it a little the water will just run down to the drip tray.
Another brilliant aspect of the Breville Dual Boiler machine is that you can lock down the machine to keep it snug on the surface and you can turn it from side to side without lifting it. Simply remove the drip tray to see a lock knob that when turned makes the machine rise up slightly onto three rubberized wheels so you can move it to access the back or sides. Also under the drip tray is a small area for storing spare filters, cleaning tablets or any small tools you may need. The drip tray will also let you know when it needs to be emptied with a little sign that pops up that you can’t miss.
Watch a video that gives you a lot more details of the machine here:
Here are several of the Breville BES920XL Dual Boiler Espresso Machine fantastic features:
- Made of brushed stainless steel housing
- Backlit LCD display for clock, espresso shot timer, or extraction temperature
- Dual 15 BAR Italian made pumps
- Triple heat system for espresso boiler, steaming boiler and group head
- Electronic PID temperature control system (controls espresso boiler and heated group head)
- Programmable brew volume buttons (to use manual control, time duration, or volumetric)
- Programmable brewing temperature (from 190F to 205F)
- Programmable pre infusion function
- Colors available are red, black and silver
- Replaceable water filter helps to reduce impurities and scale
- Pressure gauge to monitor brewing pressure
- Commercial style stainless steel steam wand with a 3-hole tip
- Large warming tray on top for cups
- Integrated & removable espresso tamper
- Removable drip tray with a indicator for when to empty
- Fill tank and cleaning alert
- Programmable auto-start (preheats machine at a specified time)
- Dedicated hot water outlet to dispense hot water to pre-heat cups or make beverages
- BPA Free on all parts that come in contact with coffee and water
- 84 oz. removable water tank with two access points
- Power: 110/120 volts, 1700 watts
- Dimensions: 16.25 inches wide x 15 inches deep x 15 inches high
- Weighs 30 pounds
- Breville offers a 2-year warranty
- Includes accessories of non-pressurized single & double filter baskets, Razor dose trimming tool, coffee scoop, stainless steel frothing pitcher, pressurized single & double filter baskets, cleaning discs & tablets, cleaning tool and water filters
- Preheats machine at a specified time
- Triple heating system
- Ergonomically designed
- BPA Free
- You can fill water easily
- Price is reasonable for an espresso machine
- Replaceable water filter
- Alerts that help you out
- PID temperature control
- Comes in 3 colors
- Complaints of steamer breaking down after descaling
The Breville BES920XL Dual Boiler Espresso Machine is the espresso lover’s dream machine! With so many advantages and only one disadvantage that we could find, it sounds like the perfect machine to buy for your home or office.