Did you know that the name “Capresso” is the combination of Cappuccino with Espresso? The brand name Capresso was developed in 1994 by the U.S. leader in making premium coffee equipment for the home, JURA Inc. of Switzerland. They produce coffee equipment worldwide for over 50 countries.
Several of the innovated Capresso products have been featured on TV and in magazines as well as the Internet. Many of their products have been the first of its kind in the industry such as coffeemaker/ grinder combinations. This Capresso Burr Grinder review will tell you about the Infinity burr grinder model that comes in two durable finishes of black and brushed silver for around $100-150.
One of the easiest ways to improve the taste of home brewed coffee is to grind whole coffee beans fresh immediately before brewing. The basis for grinding coffee beans is to generate a larger surface area for the hot water to extract the flavor and oils from the beans. If coffee is ground too far in advance, the exposure to air causes the flavor to be released making for a weak cup of coffee when the grounds are brewed.
Did you know that coffee loses aroma within a few hours of being ground? Pre-ground coffee stored in airtight containers will not taste as fresh as if it is ground immediately before brewing. Using a grinder with a conical burr grinder will yield the most precise aroma and flavor of grounds for every type of brewing method from espresso, Turkish, drip coffee, pour-over, French press, and percolators. The Capresso Infinity Conical Burr Grinder will beat others for maximum aroma and flavor retention.
Capresso’s conical burrs come from Switzerland where they are hand assembled for precise fit and are matched pairs. Special grinding heads cut the steel burrs to within 0.1 mm precision (1/250 of one inch) done by the use of computers. The multiple gear motor produces a slow grind action with a high precision grind for extra-fine to coarse coffee grounds.
The Capresso has one of the largest bean hoppers for a home grinder that holds 8-1/2 ounces of beans at a time. It also has a great amount of settings for 16 specific blends of coffee in the four categories of extra fine, fine, regular, and coarse with each having four different degrees in each category. Turkish coffee is the finest grind and not always a setting on many coffee grinders.
The Infinity grinder has a built-in timer that you can set from 5 to 60 seconds and you do not have to hold it as it will continue to grind until the timer stops but you can also do pulse grinding. The grinder is made of a durable steel that is normally used on commercial grinders and runs at a slow enough speed (less than 450 rpm) so that heat will not build up and the coffee will not burn like other grinders may do.
The Infinity has safety features such as the lock on the bean container that needs to be in place for it to operate. The coffee container keeps the coffee sealed during grinding and holds a nice amount of four ounces of grounds. To keep grounds from scattering around when you remove the container, you should make sure the bean hopper is empty before removing it.
It is easy to clean since the upper burr lifts out and a brush is included to brush it out after each use. Be sure to put it back in the upright position as it can also fit upside down and may get stuck. You can also buy cleaner especially made for this grinder called Clean Grind and found on the Capresso website. The housing is made of heavy-duty zinc die-cast with a Stainless Steel finish that can be easily wiped off with a soft cloth. You can also find instructions on cleaning by clicking here to view a video on Youtube.
Here are some of its outstanding features of the Capresso Infinity Burr Grinder:
- To take a look at the features of the Capresso Infinity, click here to watch a Youtube video
- The Infinity has an elegant and user friendly design that would look good on any countertop
- It has a wide range of grinding settings from ultrafine Turkish to coarse with 16 clearly marked settings with four levels for each type of grind to give you extra fine, fine, regular and coarse
- It has advanced cutting design for high precision grinding using solid conical steel burrs that are of commercial-grade
- The upper conical burr is removable for easy cleaning
- It grinds slow with reduced noise and less static build-up and less heat buildup giving you more aroma and flavor than most grinders
- The ground coffee container holds up to 4 ounces of ground coffee and is tight-fitting
- It has a large clear plastic bean hopper container that holds up to 8.8 ounces of beans
- Timer can be set to grind beans from 5 to 60 seconds and automatically turns off
- It has a safety auto shut-off when the bean container is not locked
- Another safety feature is that when you turn the bean container marking (black dot) to the far side of the fineness settings, it will stop the grinding immediately
- Dimensions are 10½ inches high by 7 ¾ inches wide by 5 inches long and weighs 6 pounds
- It has a one year warranty for home use only
- Attractive and will fit under most cabinets with small footprint
- User friendly with easy to use features and settings
- Grinding done within 0.1 mm with conical steel burrs
- Slow grind of less than 450 rpm
- Large bean hopper of 8.8 ounces
- Automatic timer from 5 to 60 seconds
- Safety features of auto shut-off or forced shut-off
- Two durable finishes of black and brushed silver
- Low-medium price of $100 to $150 depending on model
- Plastic parts may break easily
- Not so easy to clean as they claim
- The tiny brush they include is not strong enough for cleaning
- Some complaints about customer service
The Capresso Infinity Burr Grinder looks great on the countertop and I love that it holds over eight ounces of beans since many others are only four. For the lower medium price, this grinder is worthwhile and would make great gifts for your coffee loving family or friends. Another outstanding feature is the specially made burrs that will keep grinding for a long time. When you’re out shopping and you can’t remember the brand name, just remember that cappuccino plus espresso equals Capresso and that the model will last an “infinity.” We hope this Capresso Burr Grinder Review was helpful in seeking out the best coffee grinder for you.